Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sporadic, indeed, are these ramblings

Before I jumpstart them again, how about a little catching up?

I'm no longer a librarian, sad day. What I am now is an intern! Come September, that'll be upgraded to Audit Intern. Getting goosebumps yet? I've also officially graduated from Collin and am enrolled at UTD for the Fall. I've decided, for the time being, to get a double major in Accounting/Finance and aspire to be accepted into the PPA (Professional Program of Accounting) offered at the university. This entails a very specific course schedule, and if all goes according to plan, an 8 week internship with a large firm during the Spring of my Senior year. From there, I'll ride that fast track to a Master's and CPA certification by Spring 2014! Can I just say how great it feels to have a plan in place? The only depressing caveat is the idea of funding these plans...but one day at a time.

Working & Colorful!
How is this new job you ask? Because it is a job, no doubt. I haven't the luxury of pouncing on any old internship available. Paid is the way, my dears, and paid I shall be! The internship/job/paid-state-of-being is going swell, actually. While I dreaded leaving the library and it's student-friendly flexibility, I was ambitious to go after, obtain, and kick ass at a "real job"! Interviews were many, as well as interesting interviewers. As luck would have it, the very inspiration for pursuing an internship at this point in my college career was also my rainbow paved path to the pot of gold. Let's briefly reminisce:

Christmas of 2010 found my family at Karl's home, frolicking with friends of his family and a tasty turkey. There I met one of his mom's best friends, Ruth Vail, and her husband, Michael. He's an accountant with his own firm, you say? Fate has played a very ripe card in my favor. Like a good little student, I immediately used the chance to ask for advice/wisdom/anything. At the time I still wasn't 100% sure if I was headed in the right direction. Mike's sage advice was to look for an internship early in my college career to help make myself sure of it: who wants to use four years of their life in pursuit of a job you'll hate yourself for later? That night I resolved to find an internship for the following summer, and so I did.


From the moment I left my interview, I was confident that this opportunity was one I couldn't pass up. After countless interviews, and a one week stint as a mere assistant, my efforts were seeming fruitless. I finally got a hold of Mike and made an appointment. Thankfully, he and his partner were both supportive and very interested in a good investment, and I have a job that's more than I ever expected. Not only is the environment in the office a cordial and professional one, but everyone is patient and willing to help me learn. This has been a priceless facet of my worklife at Vail & Knauth, LLP. I actually feel like I'm getting hands-on experience that will help me wherever I go, be it Finance, Accounting, or simply Business. Also, the folks here are just as student-friendly as on-campus employment. So yes, I must say I rather like my job. 


GROSS, I know...

A regrettable side effect of having a glamorous Dallas job, is that I've now become a "traffic problem". Before a moment of enlightenment yesterday, I'd merely complained about being in traffic. Kelley, one of my new coworkers, opened my eyes! It would seem, being a part of traffic myself, I contribute to the issue. Damn her logic! Needless to say, being "a part" of Dallas traffic has turned me into a more selfish, cynical driver. I'm less inclined to be gracious to those trying to squeeze in and have become paranoid that everyone wants to cut me off. Thank you Dallas Drivers for making me less naive. Fools. Because of this, I prefer to just work my cute little butt off until later in the evening; my little suburbia heaven seems eons away when fighting traffic to get there.

As for more recent news...

Tuesday was Karl's birthday! The love of my life is now 22 and a working man! Want to see the hero in action? Take a walk down footwear lane at Academy: he's killer in them khakis, folks. I'm also proud to say, given my perpetually limited budget, I gave him the best birthday present imaginable! With it came a once in a lifetime proposition, and my ulterior motives brought to light. My man is now effectively invisible to vultures of the female variety and shall never die of thirst. Game on, girls!


Alas, my thoughts are forced to a standstill for now. My stomach is in charge of priorities around here and is highly peeved at the moment. Dinnertime! Until later, my darlings, and enjoy the rest of your weekend! Tomorrow's game plan? Some Daniel Craig bamfness, if you please :]


Oh yeah...and I wear glasses now.

No comments:

Post a Comment